Sunday 20 January 2008

Oh, that kind of rake!

Plans for this afternoon, which meant early rising to get to the yard and play with Max a bit before the rush.

Decided to take him into the school. Was just grooming him when YO’s husband came over to warn me that he’d left a blue rake outside the doors, so I should be aware when I walked Max up there.

“He’s not bothered by things like that,” I said.

“You’re very lucky, then.”

"Yes", I agreed, because I am. Max will startle at things occasionally, but generally he’s fairly steady and brave, and even after a spook will take a long hard look, and then walk closer to investigate.

We continued chatting while I was brushing Max, and eventually I figured out that the “blue rake” was in fact a proper rake that gets attached to a tractor and rakes up the school surface, rather than the garden implement I had in mind and dismissed as a non-issue.

Well, that put a different slant on things.

I decided to walk Max around to the school the long way, via the lane, so we could approach from a more open vantage point, rather than just turning a corner and seeing a mystery blue thing.

Well, he noticed all right, decided to put his Arab head on for a few moments (he gets quite tall when he’s Arab) and had a good hard stare at the new blue thing.

“Max, touch” I said hopefully.

“OK, then. I was about to anyway…” and he walked forward purposefully, stuck his head down and gave it a nudge.

Soon used head down position to move from investigating to sneaky grazing. My boy is an opportunist.

We had about half an hour in the school, most of it trot work.

I’ve lowered my stirrups one hole each side, and I’ve told myself this must be because my position is improving. I’d always been one to ride a bit short, but have been trying, since I’ve had Max, to ride a little longer and refine my position and balance.

Just lately, I’ve felt like my stirrups feel a bit too short, so I’m taking that as a good sign.

Max was a good mix of responsive and ornery, which is the mix I like. Went round really well, listened attentively and every now and then got into a head tossing “No, no, no! We’ve done what you say long enough!”

He’s still trying to have a little canter out of the bends down the long side of the school, and we’re getting a few good steps now, before he thinks better of it.

I was really happy with both sitting and rising trot today; we seemed to be moving together for longer stretches before I lost it. Whether that has anything to do with the new stirrup length I don’t know.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?