Monday 10 November 2008

Foul weather friends

Yuck! What a grim day it has been in this little corner of the world. Lashing it down with rain and high winds. As I type this, there is a respite; no rain, but leaden skies and cloud cover that promises that this is just a cease fire, not surrender.

Max was exercised today by YO and she was very pleased with him. I found him tucked up in his box wearing his fleece, with evidence of his hard work still to be seen. She said his cantering his coming along very nicely and the transitions are getting better. He still strikes off on the wrong foot on the right rein, but is getting the hang of "flying changes"! My boy! He's growing up!

He won't do it for me yet, and I guess maybe I could feel bad about that, but I don't. I love that he is responding so well to the tuition from someone more able than myself, and it's up to me to learn and catch up to his level. I have no problem with that. I'm delighted with his progress!

I tucked Max up in his medium weight rug with hood again. The temperature would be too mild if it was a still, dry afternoon, or promised to be a still, dry night, but the forecast is for more wet 'n' wild overnight and I think Max is better off well protected from the elements. Better he comes in a little toasty than drenched with a chill.

Although the paddock where Max and his mates spend their time drains quite beautifully, today it was over-burdened with water and they had a little lake to investigate. The three stooges, set free, all gathered around the edge of the lake.

"Look boys, we got ourselves a swimmin' hole!" declared The Boss, stamping his foot and making a splash.

Max and his best mate tried some splashing too, and we left the three of them there, delightedly stomping in the water like three mischief makers at the public baths, ignoring the posted signs of, "No diving, no bombing, no splashing, no running."

There I was, reluctant to take my poor pony out in the miserable weather, but he's a horse, and he cares not about the weather.

I watched for a while, smiling at their antics, and walked away whistling, "Singing in the rain".

Once again, my pony leads by example "Don't worry! Be happy!" Max finds the silver lining round every cloud.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?