Thursday 13 November 2008

You're not paying attention!

Funny ol' Max. We haven't really been up to anything blog worthy, but I've mentioned before about Max and his special treats in his feed bowl, how he gobbles enthusiastically, then rests his head against me while he chews because it's SO good.

Well, yesterday, we were doing that. I finished my shift at the yard, picked out his feet, did a last skip out of his box, gave him some new hay, made a fuss of him and then brought him a little plastic baggy full of half a chopped parsnip, a chopped pear and a sliced carrot with a handful of ponynuts. He saw the bag, he got excited, he went back to his bowl and thumped it with his nose "In! In, in, in! Gimme!"

So I dumped it in for him, and stood by his head while he chomped away, with each mouthful resting his head against me, sighing, chewing and looking all blissed out.

But I heard a noise on the yard, and I looked away from him, out of his box door, listening while I idly scratched his neck. Just wondering who it was, what it was... We've had a recent "crime wave" in our area, milk, eggs, garden stuff going missing, so we're all on alert. I knew the tack room was open and I was trying to figure out if anybody was on the yard, paying more attention to that than what Max was doing.

So Max nudges my hand, twice, to re-focus my attention on how delighted he was. I turned to look at him and "Ah, that's better. Look at me loving my food!" and he leaned his head into me again while he chewed in bliss. Apparently, I have to pay attention when he's eating his treats! Funny boy!

Today, the weather is miserable, and I tucked him into his hoody while he fretted like an impatient child. "Not the clasps, they bind. Out now! Out. Cease fiddling!"

Brilliant boy. He makes my day, every day.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?