Friday 7 November 2008

Revisiting parsnips

There was a half price sale on parnisps at the supermarket today, and I remembered how much Max enjoys them, so bought a bunch.

We did a little work in the school today, cut short by a tremendous downpour. Oh, we were sheltered and dry, but the sound of the rain hitting to roof of the indoor school with such force prompted Max to believe he was under attack from many cobblers' apprentices, hammering away with their little silver hammers, and he lost all his concentration.

I released him from his work and let him trot around, tail like a flag, until he settled enough for a roll and a few snorts, and then we just worked on clicker training and not worrying about the rain.

When we were done, I took him back to his box and presented him with his feast. A little plastic bag containing a chopped parsnip, a chopped carrot, a chopped pear, and a handful of pony nuts.

It isn't much, but Max went into his happy trance, chewing and resting his head against me while he chewed... "Oh man! This is sooo good! I'd just about offer you some, but I know you don't want any so..."

The last day of my "holiday" and couldn't have asked for a better way to draw a line under it than happy Max, munching appreciatively on his treat.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?