Wednesday 5 November 2008

Max in the hands of another...

Frustrating and inspirational, watching Max work for my YO yesterday. Actually, not very frustrating because he was so beautiful - only frustrating in that I can't get him to work like that myself. Partly because I'm nowhere near as skilled as my YO (but I'm working on it) and partly because Max knows all the tricks to get round me - the best of which is making me laugh.

I've taken a week off from the office this week but am still working the yard. I spent seven blissful hours there today. Yes, hard graft, but lots of time with Max, and no pressures to push off anywhere else, so I could take my time to fluff up the beds and spend loads of time loving the lovelies instead of feeling like just a little jaw scratch would have to do.

Yesterday I watched Max working in the pessoa for the first time since August. Although I've been carrying on with working him myself, I haven't seen just what he can do in the hands of the YO and my boy has advanced!

Started off in a nice trot and I commented, "It takes me about ten minutes to get him to that point!" to which YO laughed and said, "Oh, he can do much better than this. I'm just letting him work the stiffness off before we really get going!"

Monkey! Hiding his light under a bushel from me.

Well, YO says Max is a bit idle, and if he can find a way to get out of work, he'll do it. He's all about less work, more food.

I was not downhearted about this at all. She gave me some handy tips to push him on, and now I know what he can give, I'm in a better position to ask for it, politely but insistently.

Today we had a go on our own, and although I still can't get him going as well as YO, and we failed to get into canter at all (he cantered and cantered for her yesterday), I know we'll get there with a little more work from me. It's still all about timing, when I ask and where I put myself when I ask.

Max had a bit of a grump on. He would prefer that I don't watch his sessions with the YO because it gives me Ideas. Max prefers me without Ideas, unless the Ideas involve something tasty, or a scratch between his front legs, or a soothing rub of his ear tips.

We had a great old time though, and finished off our session with Max in a light sweat, so I took all his gear off and he had a grand roll in the school before going back to finish his lunch and have a sponge down to get the sweat off his belly. Then light rug on, and out to the field with his mates.

Bonfire night tonight, and the fireworks will be starting soon, but I'm not too worried. He's with his pals, the Boss is nonplussed by bangers and his chill will tell the other two there is nothing to fear.

On this crisp November evening, with the smell of woodsmoke in the air and the exploding lights in the sky, Max extends a hearty horsey welcome to his new Canadian cousin, Jamaika, a stunningly beautiful mare who has had the good fortune of finding a kind and loving guardian who could not be more thrilled. Love it when dreams come true!

Here's to dreams on this beautiful night! Welcome Jamaika! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?