Sunday 30 November 2008

Won't stop, don't ask me!

Max is very full of himself after his week off. We've done a little work in the school this weekend. He's been sound since Thursday but still best to keep him off flinty bridleways for a bit and take advantage of the soft surface of the school until he's 100%. The last thing he needs is another knock to his vulnerable toe.

I had trouble keeping up with him yesterday as he dragged me about on the lines, full steam ahead. My problem is usually getting more energy from Max, but yesterday "Whoa" was not in his vocabulary. I had to drop the lines several times to avoid being left behind and pulling on his mouth.

Decided better to take a firmer hold of the situation and we worked on transitions in hand to remind him about walk, halt and stand, and then lunged him very large on both reins. I don't want him on any tight bends now that would put pressure on his just recovered off fore, so by moving with him rather than standing in the middle with Max circling round me, I could control the bends and still keep up the brisk pace Max was setting.

It was a good way to have a better look at his paces too, and he looks fine - no glimmer of lameness or discomfort.

Today we did a little ridden, but I kept it short. Wanted to see how he felt (fine) and work on transitions again. Walking and standing seem to have dropped out his repertoire in the past seven days!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?