Sunday 2 November 2008

Max i' the hood


Early November, and Max is back in his tartan rug with neck hood. It seems early to be moving up a notch in his weather protection, but it has turned very rainy with a sharp, cold wind. I expect he’ll be back in his lightweight before long, at least I hope so, but for now, I prefer to know he’s dry and snug, out in the field with his hoody mates.

Friday, and again today, we experimented with long-lining up the lane, but this time, instead of one long line on either side, I used one line attached to his bridle at both ends, giving me “driving” reins. It means I’m closer to his behind, and with Max, that’s only a good thing. Much more able to chivvy him along when I’m close behind him, and there’s nothing to fear from a kick from those hinds, that’s just not Max.

My theory is the more I can build him up lining out in the open, the better he will be at hacking with confidence. I’m still on the ground with him, which is reassuring, but he is leading the way, which builds his confidence.

He doesn’t have to deal with my weight and balance on his back, and I don’t have to deal with it either, so we can both concentrate on moving forward and perfecting our aids. If he gets surprised or scared, it’s very easy for me to be where he needs me quickly.

The downside is Max’s tendency to graze along the way. Today we had a much longer walk with the Ent leading the way, and grazing was still a problem. Not a constant problem, but the greenery proved a distraction for Max and every now and again he’d abandon his post and single-mindedly head off for the grassy verges, ignoring protest from his companions.

“Somebody talking? All I can hear is nom, nom, nom…”

"Max! Head up!”

"Oooh, are those rosehips?”

“Max! Get up! Walk on!”

“A delicacy! So lush, I really could just stand here all day… Oops! Apparently not. All right, I’m walking on, already! Jeez. Get a grip, lady!”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Snort.”

I think “snort” is the equivalent of “phht!”. I’ll have to look that up in my English/Equus – Equus/English dictionary…

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?