Wednesday 19 December 2007

The devil makes work for idle teeth

Poor ol' Maximus! Very stiff back leg today. He kept thumping it on the ground, like you do when your foot has gone to sleep and you're trying to shake it off. He was OK after I took him round the school a bit, and he was a brilliant boy, going through his paces with me. Had a really good roll, too, over three times (the boy has no problem with his back!) which was good to see.

Also, cleaning his undercarriage today, which is finally going well because of the hot water and soft cloth, I discovered he has a few sores on the underside of his sheath. Quite ouchy for him, so I'm glad I didn't put any salt in the water. I'll have to keep an eye on it - I think it's kinda like nappy rash.

Covered him in aloe vera and will just make a real effort over the next while to do that every day and see how he goes. Not looking weepy or anything, and thank god no flies around to irritate or cause infection. So glad he allows me to do a more thorough cleaning job now, or I might not have caught this quickly enough. He still no likey, but he's a lot more patient

He also got led out by our farrier to baby-sit while his field-mate was shod. J is very scared of having his feet done, but stays calm and stands still if Max is with him. Max doesn't give a stuff. Managed to untie himself and go off and maraud through horse rugs he had no business rummaging, picking them up in his teeth and dumping them on the ground until farrier caught him and tied him up again.

"Bored now! Mischief making! Mwuh ha ha!"

I am still so amazed at the turn around I've had with him these past few weeks. He's so co-operative and really seems to relish what we're doing together. It's such a joy to see, and so much fun for both of us. Lots of laughing, lots of Max being playful, but in an eager way, not disruptive. And me, so calm and steady, coaxing and keeping my voice low - he responds so well to that!

I know we'll have a backslide- I absolutely know that, but I'm trying to concentrate on this upswing, and remember, when we do slide back, how far we've come, and how far we'll go when we get over the next challenge.

What an amazing little horse I have! Such a brave and generous heart. He continues to be my absolute delight!

I've said that before, haven't I? Boring, I am. Broken record. Horrendous mum you try to get away from at cocktail parties "My child is super intelligent. My child is uber talented. Blah, blah, blah..."

"Hmmm..." fixed smile on face. "Where's that drinks tray?"

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?