Saturday 1 December 2007

Herd instinct

The weather today was absolutely dreadful! I didn't do anything with Max on Saturday because it's my long shift on the yard and I’m just too knackered. We had a long grooming session, and also a bit of clicker training in his box, but nothing else.

Today there was just no way I was taking him out in that, even into the school. He'd never have been able to concentrate with all that commotion!

I spent about an hour in his box with him, and I was really glad I was there, because he actually got scared by the weather. Howling wind, lashing rain, and then the eaves trough right in front of his box door started gushing a torrent of water.

I was at the back of his box with my latest purchase, a "bucket organiser". Sad and slightly anal, I know, but it's this thing that fits over a bucket, and has pockets and places to put stuff, so rather than a jumble of stuff in his wash bucket, I've now got everything arranged neatly where I can see it.

Anyway, there I was organising, and suddenly Max came dashing back to me, tucked his head behind my shoulder and looked very warily out of his door. Poor thing didn't quite know what to make of it all, but decided it was best off to be at the back near me. I stood and said nothing, just stroked his withers until he relaxed again. But I was so glad I was there. I know it's just herd instinct, but I'm his herd!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?