Wednesday 12 December 2007

Day off from Mr Sleepy Head

Very sleepy pony, so I think he appreciated it. Long and difficult day at the yard, everything frozen. Just too tired to do him justice, and icy surfaces out and about, so not tempting for a wander.

We just had a nuzzle and a chat, and that was it. Along with everything else, Max has also just recently become a lot more tolerant of physical displays of affection. Tomorrow is our big day for doing stuff. A long grooming session, including hands-on nether washing, and either a long walk out on our own, or some ridden work in the school.

H has been telling me to pat myself on the back for the good work coming from Max these days, but I find it very hard to do. I think I'm about the same, but Max has improved so much that he gets what's required despite me, not because of me. I still feel totally fumbly, but I do know, logically, that that can't be the case or we'd still be spinning our wheels and I'd still be getting freaked out by criticism.

So H must be right, I just... find it difficult. But no, even a month ago I would not have dreamed of lining Max out of the school. So something has changed, and part of the change must be my level of confidence. Or something. And if I'm more confident myself, Max is bound to feel more confident in me, and in himself, too.

I know we'll have another knock-back sooner or later, but it won't be as far back as the last one, and we'll recover again and take another couple of steps forward. I just loved yesterday, everybody watching, and nobody able to make any suggestions about what I should be doing differently because we were getting along just fine with no advice! Way to go, Max & me!

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?