Tuesday 1 April 2008

Bluster, bombast, ballast and bliss!

I am grinning from ear to ear! My brilliant boy was just stunning today.

We've been expecting dreary weather for this week. Today was meant to be sunshine, heavy showers and wind. Well, the sunshine and strong winds we got, but the showers have held off.

I was a bit worried about the wind, but decided that Max and I would try a lone hack despite it. Very willing to give in and just walk him if it proved too much.

My initial plan was to walk him out to a point, then mount up and come back home all on the lane, but I changed my mind. He was feeling quite easy going, so part way up the lane, I found a convenient spot and hopped on.

The wind really was quite high, but everything about Max felt relaxed so we went off and turned up a bridleway. I was constantly calculating in my head at which point we should turn for home and end on a good note, wary of not wanting to put any pressure on him or turn something pleasant into something stressful, but he was just foot perfect. Felt like we'd been doing it for years, out on our own!

"Ah! This is how it's meant to be!" I said to him. "You and me, out together, enjoying each other's company and looking at the beautiful countryside."

"Yeah, yeah. You don't have to write a poem y'know! I'm cool just hanging out with you."

We turned into "the sheep field" (dubbed thus because it had sheep grazing on it for a couple of weeks) and had a trot and canter round it, snorting and prancing and doing some pretty fancy footwork.

Having gone round the field, I decided to re-trace our steps for the long way home, rather than a more direct route. Max didn't complain about that, though he did want to keep on trotting.

Our only drama was on the final leg home, when a couple of enthusiastic young dogs, a border collie and a lab, burst through the hedgerow in front of us and Max did a sudden spin and run in the opposite direction (away from home and safety). I remained seated, Max collected himself in a couple of steps, and turned back to face the dogs when I asked.

This is where ballast comes in. Max's saddle slips something chronic. He's rather barrel shaped (as many Fjords and Arabs are) and he has virtually no withers. The slipping is quite a good learning tool, in that it forces me to focus on my own balance to keep the the saddle straight. I don't want to be hoiking it to one side or another like I'm kick-starting a motorcycle because that kind of move is hard on Max's back. Imagine carrying somebody piggy back and having them lean to one side and then push themselves to the other with force. Not only will it make you stumble, but it could really be quite a strain on your muscles as you try to counterbalance.

Keeping my own balance to maintain the saddle position does not help in a sudden spook and spin situation though, and I do live in fear of going out the side door. Again. Yet again!

All that aside, though, the two dogs, who even a few weeks ago probably would have left me in a ditch and left Max a quivering wreck that could not be settled were a mere blip for us today. We got over it in no time and had a steady trot for home, Max's mane waving fetchingly in the wind.

I could barely contain myself when I got him back to the yard, tack off, a quick rub down, a big drink of water, and then rug on. I tucked him in and then wrapped my arms around his neck in a big hug and told him, over and over, that he was absolutely brilliant and I could not possibly be more proud of him. And bless his sweet little hooves, he does get quite chuffed with himself when I make a delighted fuss of him!

So bravo Max, and bravo again! Standing ovation, well earned!

And bombast? Well, along with "bluster", it also means bravado and swagger, so I guess that applies to both of us. Max was full of bravado, and now, I'm full of swagger, because for all the times I've listened to the whispers that I'm too easy on him, and I don't ride him enough, and why am I always taking him out in hand, and why don't I ride him more...

Today is why. Today he showed me what patience and listening to him, letting him choose his pace and have an opinion has done for us.

Did we get a pat on the back from anybody at the yard? Course we didn't. Max is just doing what he should be doing, and about time, too.

No matter. I know, and Max knows, that today's hack was achieved without force, without bullying, without "legs, legs, legs!" without "Give him a crack with your stick, that's what it's there for!" Max just gave it to me, because he wanted to and I hope because he trusts me and likes hanging out with me.

And that makes today's success very sweet indeed.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?