Friday 25 April 2008

Cheeky chappy

He's back to his ol' self. What a relief! Picking at my shirt, demanding attention, bolshy and forward, just how I like him!

I got the surgeon's report through the post today. I don't pretend to understand it all, but what he had was a ventral fold of tissue across the sheath.

The report was full of horrifying details about incisions and sutures, skin defects, multiple bleeding points and "dead space".

The final kick in the teeth?

"Max recovered well from anaesthesia with the aid of a rope assisted system."

Oh my boy! My boy! Winched on a rope assisted system. I am horrified, but he was too doped to know, and it is behind us now. And it actually isn't as horrifying as it sounds - one rope on his headcollar and one on his tail, so that when he starts to scramble up, he can be helped to maintain his balance and keep his footing. He's not dangled in a harness on a pulley syste, or anything.

I am beginning to think (to know in my knowing place) that Max and I will have to backtrack a bit and build his confidence again.

If we do go out for a walk on Sunday, I think I have to be prepared for a visit from the old Max who didn't like to step out of his comfort zone. I have no problem with that, and will build him up again slowly and patiently. We are in no rush.

Today, when I took him to his field after his big scratch session, he followed me happily until we got in sight of the field and the horsebox he'd been transported in. He really tensed up and started blowing loudly, head right up on high alert. I am so unaccustomed to seeing that behaviour in him, it took me a little by surprise, though I didn't show it.

His field mate wasn't at the gate waiting for us, and that seemed to be the problem. Max hollered for him, field mate hollered back and thundering hooves followed, as field mate ran to the gate to greet us. Max saw him, relaxed and moved on again.

He has not worried about being alone before, and it's been months since he has showed anxiety like that, unless there was something obvious to be anxious about. Even then, I could lead him through it (even ridden) but today that was not an option.

The good news is that once in, and we'd said our goodbyes, Max had a little trot and he looked quite comfortable and at ease with the pace.

Ah well. Clicker training will get us through, I have complete faith in that.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?