Friday 18 April 2008

"I am da hula rula!"

Max owns hula hoopin'! Such a brave and curious boy. We took the hoop into the indoor school today and had a go at touching it in the air, then touching it on the ground, then (free style) picking it up in his teeth and giving it a shake, then me rolling it across the school, Max chasing it, picking it up with his teeth and giving it a shake, and finally, letting me put it over his head and neck and hold it there. Finally he allowed me to pick up each of his front feet in turn, place them inside the hoop while it was flat on the ground, then take them out again. Eventually I hope he'll step into and out of the hoop of his own accord when asked, but first he needs to understand what I'm asking of him.

After that, we did a bit of long-lining. It's been a while since we've done it properly - we've had variations which haven't really worked out for us, so I took him back to basics and all went pretty well. He got bored and ended up taking himself onto a smaller circle and doing some lovely trot and canter work. I just had to keep myself in position and make occasional noises of encouragement. He still does downward transitions to voice sweet as pie.

After that, a little loose work, and a finishing flourish of hula hoop, before being turned out into his field.

I missed him yesterday because I was up in London for the afternoon/evening, so I was nice to have a long time in the school just us. We must have been in there over an hour, but since we were doing lots of different things, Max didn't get bored or unfocused.

I'm beginning to feel quite anxious about his op in three days. The days are flying by and I keep telling myself that by this time next week, it will all be done and he'll be back home safe again.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?