Wednesday 9 April 2008

What a delightful pony!

Not my words. Somebody else rode Max today.

She's a friend who also works on our yard a couple of afternoons a week, and has another mount she routinely rides first, then gets down to the hard graft of pitchfork, broom and wheelbarrow.

But her usual mount had a really bad gash to his fetlock a couple of weeks back and still can't be ridden, so my friend in the meantime has been riding the YO's big grey. But big grey is generally ridden on a Wednesday by somebody else (who has been on holiday but returned today... are you following all this?)

Could see my friend was disappointed when she saw she had no horse to ride. She doesn't have a car either, just a bike, so she was pretty much stuck at the yard and it was only 11.00 in the morning with work not starting until 2.00!

So I said she could try Max if she wanted. I can't ride him on a Wednesday because I don't have time between my two jobs. After polite protestations and my insistence that I truly didn't mind, she happily gave in ("Are you really sure? You really don't mind?") .

I helped her tack up (because my tack is a bit unconventional) and told her to just try him in the school first to see how it felt, and if she didn't think she was getting on with him, no problem, put him back in his box. I know he's a bit dodgy about hacking on his own, but he's been getting miles better, and S is a good rider and very kind with her hands and legs. So I thought it would be good for Max and certainly wouldn't harm him.

Told her about his tricks, told her he'd be slow on the lane but pick up when they turned off it, take a stick, but just use it against her boot or the saddle if needed (she does that anyway - she's not one for hitting critters) and that if he stopped for a stare, just let him stare for a bit and wait to feel him relax, then ask again gently if he didn't decide to go ahead on his own.

Reminded her he's barefoot, so mind the ground, but he's actually a fun ride and his only real trouble spot is spinning suddenly if he's scared, but her usual mount does exactly the same thing, so she's well used to that and sits spins like a pro.

I bravely left the yard, with S just leading my boy away towards the school. I paused as I saw him do a stop and stare, and watched as S gave him a pat, said "Ready, Max? Walk on" gently, and Max obliged on best behaviour.

"Bye bye, baby," I whispered after him. "Be a good boy and stay safe."

Then I drove away and tried not to fixate on the fact that Max was out with somebody else.

The report is back.

S returned from her hack on Max with a big grin on her face, apparently. She said he was lovely! She said he was a very brave pony, and added that she would be delighted to ride him again because he was so much fun.

Attaboy Max! You've done me proud. Again.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?