Monday 7 April 2008

Sleet pony

Max and I are wholly unimpressed with the weather.

Yesterday's snow was gone by the afternoon, as I knew it would be. Today was cold and clear for the yard work, but by the time I was heading back for the yard this afternoon, a heavy sleet shower was in progress.

We've had them all now: rain, snow, sleet and hail. I guess I can sign Max up for the Pony Express (if it still existed).

Looks like my boy's surgery will be scheduled for two weeks today. Hurrah and argh. I'm glad it's going to be done, and done soon, but I am already worrying, and I hate the idea of Max having to go through this.

Truth be told, though, Max will more than likely be fine. He's resilient, he's got no sense of anticipation, so he won't be scared, particularly and he will no doubt take it all on, deal with it, and come back home the same easy-going soul he was before his adventure. I will be a wreck.

We are getting a lift both ways from a generous friend, and she has said we can either take her trailer or her HUGE horse box. So I'm weighing that up.

Max has only travelled with me twice. Once in a small box on his own, and he flipped out. I had to ride in the back with him and try to calm him as he attempted to clamour over the partition. He arrived at his new yard drenched in sweat and completely strung out.

To be fair, he'd only been mine for three weeks at that point, so although we had a bond, it wasn't as strong as it is now. I'd also just taken him away from his mother, so it is understandable that an inexperienced young boy might have found all that a bit much to cope with.

The next time, he was in the same box, but he had a travelling companion, and he was good as gold. No fuss, no worries, loaded like a dream when the other horse wouldn't, and arrived dry and curious, but not freaked out.

He'll be travelling alone again this time, and that's a worry. But he's not that young pony just leaving his mum now.

I think I might prefer the HUGE box, just because I can travel with him, either in the cab if he's fine, or walk through to where he is if he needs me closer.

I'm thinking I should maybe spend some of the intervening time letting him get to know the box, maybe loading him up a few times and letting him have some treats in there so on the day, he's not anxious about being led to the big box all on his own.

Will talk to my mate and see what she thinks. I'm sure a few practice runs wouldn't go amiss.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
The diary of a young horse and a not quite so young novice. What happens when you decide to return to riding after years away from it and suddenly find yourself buying a horse, and a very young horse at that? Who teaches who?